Our easy-to-follow submissions guidelines:
- Please submit original true stories. (We do not publish fiction.) Please do not submit another person’s work from the Internet or from any other publication, printed or electronic. We do not publish plagiarized works. Here’s a link to help you understand plagiarism.
- We do not publish stories that appear to be spam or promotional content or contain profanity, sexually explicit content or pornography.
Guidelines for writing your story:
- How long should your story be? Submissions should be 750 words or less.
- Format. Single space between lines, double space between paragraphs, flush left (no indentation). Submit your story in Word format, Times New Roman or Arial, 12 pt. font. We prefer that italics are underlined. (If you have a MAC computer, we can convert your story to Word.)
- Defamation is any statement, written or spoken, that hurts someone’s reputation. Check this link to make sure we do not upset someone.
- Before you submit your story, please check your spelling and grammar. You can use an online dictionary or the old-fashioned kind. For grammar help, check out hints from Oxford Dictionary.
- Personalize with pictures. Attach photos of those in your story. Be sure to tell us who is who. You must own the copyright or have legal permission to use any media files that you submit so that we can legally publish them.
- Our editors use the Associated Press Stylebook as their reference for basic rules on grammar, punctuation, usage and style so that every story conveys its meaning clearly.
- Authors must be at least 13 to publish a story. In addition, if you are under 18, please do not divulge personal information that could identify you. (Please see our Privacy link at the bottom of the page for information about the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA.)
- Everyone loves a good story. And the best stories, more often than not, are true stories. Need inspiration? Discover some of our true stories in Your True Stories and True Stories on the Web. We are looking forward to adding your story to our collection.
Choose from these categories to submit your stories: (These are suggestions; you may submit stories that fall under other categories.)
- city life
- facing adversity
- famous (or infamous) people
- financial problems
- humorous events
- ideas that have made a difference
- life- altering events
- life’s moments
- life’s ups and downs
- mysterious happenings
- people who’ve influenced your life
- school life
- small town living
- vacations, trips
- unusual occurrence
- young adult – teens
- other (not sure? use this category)
Click here to submit your unique true story, or click Share Your Story! on our menu.
Questions? Click here and we’ll be happy to help.
Related articles across the web